magnum308
(.275 member)
31/08/10 06:08 PM
Re: SIngle Rifle for African Plains Game Hunt?

Tophet1,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. It certainly helps and I am sure others will find the various contributions invaluable too.

No, I haven't used Woodleighs of any description.

I have used mainly 140 gr Hornady SPBT interlocks in my .270 Win. These really shoot in my rifle too, see targets below:

Load I used for my NZ Tahr and Chamois hunt, shot just before I left.

Same load (actually a few of the rounds I brought back unfired) shot after I arrived back after rifle had been dismantled for a thorough clean and re-assembled.

I have had trouble getting some of the fancier Hornady bullets SSTs, et al to shoot in my rifle. The only 130 gr bullets it would shoot is the 130 gr spire point flat base. But I began to develop an affinity for the 140 gr bullet and switched to these for my NZ hunt. They shoot as flat as the 130 gr and have the kinetic energy (on paper at least) of the 150 gr bullets. Having heard how hard Tahr are to put down I decided this was just the medicine. It tends to be my standard load now for my .270 Win. I have also taken pigs and red dear with load.

However, for Africa I would probably look at a quality bullet (not that Hornady are not quality bullets) for larger plains game. I am partial to the Nosler partitions but have never used them in 270, so not wedded to them and will try the woodleighs. I notice they even have a 180gr for 270.

On knowing the trajectory of the rifle/load, I took with me to NZ a print of the trajectory in 25 yd increments out to 400 yds from my Point Blank ballistics software. I am convinced of the advantage of knowing exactly where your rifle is shooting at all practical game ranges.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com