Grenadier
(.375 member)
05/05/10 06:00 AM
Re: Caliber's choice for hunting

Quote:

Grenadier I was having my entitled too opinion, thus no need to take anything I posted as a personal attack on a Paradox Gun choice.

As far as this below Q:

Yes, the Paradox does have its limitations. The soft lead bullet expands too easily for penetrating thick skin and buffalo shoulders. And, it is not very practical beyond 100 yards but what large bore double gun is? EQ:

I`m sure there has to be a few large bore double guns out there capable of 100 plus yards!

Don't worry, I didn't feel any attack and I wasn't being defensive. I am not that thin skinned and, though I enjoy shooting Paradox guns, I am not emotionally attached to them. I don't enjoy argument but I very much enjoy discussion.

Many people try to compare a Paradox gun to a high velocity rifle, a shotgun, or a big bore double but it goes beyond comparing apples to oranges. It's more like comparing apples to oranges, grapes, and squash. The Paradox gun is not better than a shotgun, a high velocity rifle, or a big double. But the Paradox gun brings something different to the table, and that is versatility. I don't know of any other ONE firearm that can do so much. Regarding its capability to do what is claimed, I can only say that 125 years of user history and reporting from the field proves that it does. No commentary I could make would do as much. Some people grasp the concept and others just don't.

My comment about large bore doubles not being practical beyond 100 yards is based on the ability to hit the target in a vital zone and not on the ability of the bullet to deliver a killing blow beyond that distance. Even a Paradox carries enough oomph to kill beyond 100 yards. But the issue of accuracy is manifold.

Please let me explain my reasoning. Most big doubles are regulated for targets closer than 100 yards. Grouping of heavy doubles at their regulated range produces groups that are acceptable for hunting but are, at best, generally within 3 MOA, or 1-1/2" at 50 yards. I know from participating in numerous rifle matches that most shooters cannot shoot better than 5" groups at 100 yards off-hand without a rest with any large rifle. Large bore doubles tend to weigh a lot. Large bore doubles produce significant recoil. Field conditions are tougher than conditions on a shooting range, especially regarding range estimation. Trajectories of big cartridges, while somewhat flatter than that of the Paradox, are far from "flat". Most people don't scope their 450/400, 450, 465, 470, 500, 577, or 600 double rifles.

In the field, shooting any heavy double much beyond 100 yards with an arcing trajectory and heavy recoil, at an estimated range, with open sights, when the shooter is only capable of 5 MOA and the rifle is capable of 3 MOA, is not a very practicable recipe. Some big guns and shooters may be able to do it but I believe those will be the exception. If you feel that what I said is off base then I sincerely welcome any qualified correction. Remember, I do really like discussion.

Getting back on topic, nearly everyone listed a very large bore rifle as their choice for a Heavy. I bet for shots over 100 yards they would rely on one or more of the smaller caliber rifles they listed. It would be interesting to hear some of the big bore shooters weigh in on this as it relates to the three rifle concept - Light, Medium, and Heavy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com