Grenadier
(.375 member)
04/05/10 03:11 PM
Re: Caliber's choice for hunting

Quote:

I didnt think a huge deal of the Paradox figure`s that H+H have and IMO would rather something else to trudge around with.
I wonder how much of that energy is left at 100 yards?

Bullet weight: 12-bore = 740 grains / 48 gram
Bullet diameter: .735" (Fosbery Pattern, solid lead)
Muzzle velocity: *1050 ft./sec. / 320 m/sec.
Muzzle energy: *1840 ft./lbs. / 2500 joules
Service pressure: 3 ¼ tons " / 850 bar
Cartridge case: 12-bore 2 ½" / 65mm
1 leaf zeroed to p.o.a. @ 50 yards / (45-50m)
+ 2nd leaf to p.o.a. @ 100 yards / (90 - 100m)

Well, each to his own preferences and opinions. I don't like cigars and all wines taste the same to me. But I will point out that comparing muzzle velocity and energy of the Paradox bullet to smaller calibers can be misleading. You can shoot a 10 grain aspirin at 10,000 ft./sec. and generate 2220 ft./lbs. of energy, besting both the velocity and energy figures of a Paradox bullet. Yet, we know that an aspirin is better for curing a headache than delivering one. The aspirin has but little momentum, whereas momentum is the Paradox bullet's forte.

Using the above example, the aspirin would have only 14 ft.lbs./sec. of momentum while the Paradox bullet has a healthy 111 ft.lbs./sec. To put this into perspective, consider that firing Federal's 375H&H load with a 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet will have less momentum, or 102 ft.lbs./sec.

Some people consider Taylor Knockout (TKO) factor as a more realistic tool for comparing how effective bullets are on game. TKO takes into consideration bullet weight, diameter, velocity, and momentum. Again, using the same bullets and velocities as above, the TKO factor of the aspirin is only 3, the 375H&H is 38, and the 12 bore Paradox is 81.

The 12 bore Paradox is not a good choice for elephant, buffalo, and other thick skinned or dangerous game. But, I can say with experience that an H&H Paradox bullet fired at 95 yards into a blacktail deer will pass clear through. I have spoken with several Paradox owners who describe the same through-and-through penetration of Paradox bullets on a variety of game animals, including several large boars and some pretty big African animals.

Yes, the Paradox does have its limitations. The soft lead bullet expands too easily for penetrating thick skin and buffalo shoulders. And, it is not very practical beyond 100 yards but what large bore double gun is?

It also has several advantages. The 12 bore Paradox gun weighs less than 7.5 lbs. and it carries and swings on target like a fine shotgun, which of course it is. That also brings up the most important advantage of all. Which is, a Paradox gun can also fire a load of shot to harvest birds, rabbits, and other small beasts with an aplomb that no rifle can match.

Now, regarding my statement that if I was limited to the 375H&H and a Paradox gun I wouldn't be bad off at all. Noting the Paradox gun's poor suitability for deep penetration in dangerous game and its limited range, I would choose the 375H&H for those tasks. But, when walking about the bush for nearly anything else, the Paradox is a boon. Add to that the ability to shoot bird shot and the two guns, a 375H&H and a Paradox, would complement each other nicely.

There are many fine guns in many wonderful calibers. I do not dismiss their utility. But I suggest that if you dismiss the utility of a Paradox gun then you are missing out on one of the finer things in life. But then again, I don't like cigars and all wines taste the same to me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com