4seventy
(Sponsor)
10/06/04 11:24 AM
Re: The ol' 300 H&H

Joe,
Have you recovered any 200gn Woodleigh PP's from game you've killed?
I'd be interested to know what they looked like and what they weighed.
I haven't used the 200 grain 30 cal PP's but have done a fair amount of killing with PP's in .270 with 130 and 150gn and 7mm with 140, 160 and 175 grain.
All of those performed perfectly with very good mushrooming and also very high weight retention at a wide range of impact velocities.
I must say that I'm a bit dubious about evaluating bullet performance by looking at the exit.

I much rather wait untill some recoveries have been made before forming an opinion as to whether a bullet has performed well or not so well.

A projectile like the 30 cal 180gn nosler partition is a classic example on how exit holes can be misleading.
Put one of these through the ribs of a medium sized animal and you will often get a small exit hole giving the impression that the bullet has gone through with little or no expansion.
Actually with the 180 partition the opposite is usually true and the reason for the small exit is not under expansion.
The reason is that the front section of the partition has expanded fully and has broken up and all that is left to exit is the rear section which is usually not a great deal larger than caliber size.
In this case the bullet has expanded fully but the exit hole makes things appear as though it has not expanded at all.
I've seen the same thing happen with 30 cal Barnes X when they impact at magnum velocities and they sometimes lose the entire front expanded petal section and exit with a caliber size hole.

I had an experience with an ENTRY hole on a big Queensland boar a couple of years back which has made me just as sceptical regarding bullet entry holes as I am with bullet exit holes, but that is another story!

A bullet in the hand can tell a lot more than 2 dozen in the bush IMO.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com