NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/02/03 11:53 PM
Classic Swede 6.5x55mm

I have an ex-mil Mauser 96 (38) in 6.5x55mm.

At the moment it wears a simple black fibre-glass stock and cheap mounts and cheap scope.

As a FUTURE project I would consider getting it re-stocked with a new walnut stock and if so would like it to be stocked in a classic European manner and possibly a classic Swedish manner - the calibre being a Swede.

At the moment I am considering two possibilities:
  • A Mannlicher type full wood stock with the barrel shortened to 20 or 18 inches. Obviously there will be a trade off between velocity and handyness for this option OR
  • A Middle European type design with a snabel type stock, slim forend, but with the butt being setup for scope use. Barrel would be 22 or 24 inches. Barrel band on the barrel.

Both options would be setup for use with open sights with QD mounts plus probably a 4 x scope. A butter knife style bolt (right name?) handle for both as well.

I see both of these options would be great and especially with a calibre such as a 6.5x57mm or a 7x57mm. However my 6.5x55mm would be great too.

All of these calibres in a handy and lighter rifle would be pretty good for all Australian game bar Buffalo and Sambar.

BUT what would be the CLASSIC SWEDISH option? Most of the Scandanavian rifles I see are pretty much designed for the US market.

Any buddy out there who knows?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com