DPhillips
(.375 member)
15/05/04 11:07 AM
Re: The 300 magnum

A few other things to consider, Nick. First, if you are hunting interior grizzlies, I think you would do fine with a 300, even in the No.1. Just load it with something like a 200 grain NP or North Fork and have at it. If you are being backed up by a guide, you could use your 300. 9 out of 10 times, it will probably work okay. However, you will have to be prepared to accept that your guide may have to end up putting rounds into the bear to keep it from getting into dense brush or on a charge. I said "may", doesn't mean your bear won't drop at the shot.

If you are going to be sneaking through the alder and devils club jungles, I would prefer a repeating rifle, like a good strong CRF bolt action chambered for a more effective stopper. In this case, as I mentioned above, I'd go with a 338 minimum.

One thing I think gets crosswise on a lot of these forums is that the locals seem to use a smaller bore or less "effective" rifle than a lot of visiting sportsmen. One thing is the resident doesn't necessarily have the time limitations, and sure doesn't have the financial investments that the client does. On my sheep hunts, if I don't score, I may get to go next week or next month. A visitor isn't afforded that luxury. If I were coming up here to hunt as a non-resident, I'd want a rifle that handled the worst case scenerio. As a resident, if a bear is that close to the brush and dark is a few minutes away, I don't have to pull the trigger, I can come back and get him later.

You can bet when I go to Africa, I won't be carrying a 243 and 45/70 that limits the shots I can take on the animals I want to hunt. I will take a rifle that works in those worst case instances. I understand that the PH may feel he has to pull my bacon out of the fire, but I guarantee you my magazine will be empty.

The 300 H&H for me is my sheep rifle. I'll take on moose/caribou hunts in the interior. Hope to take a bear with it too. But it will be in a place where visibility isn't limited.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com