Ripp
(.577 member)
13/10/09 02:05 AM
Re: 300 Weatherby

Quote:

Personally, I love the .300 Weatherby. The only other Weatherby I like as much or more is the .340. The .300 Wby is certainly a go anywhere, do anything cartridge for non-dangerous game anywhere. I have several boxes of 180 grain Barnes-X bullets that I'm keeping for a special hunt, but have since switched to the 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. Both are extrememely accurate out of my rifles. At a MV of 3,250 fps, sighted in for 3" high at 100 yards yards will give you a 300 yard zero and 8" of drop at 400 yards. I understand Boddington's position on not going wrong with it in your hands in unfamiliar country. Of course, a laser rangefinder also helps. For those who've learned the cartridge and can master it, it truly is impressive. The handloaded .300 RUM will be in the same league.

Agree with most of what you stated--think if you handload especially, it is a slightly better cartridge than the Win mag--however the Win is a pretty good round in its own as well..used one only for about 15 years on everthing from pronghorn to elk and everything in between..

As to the RUM--I have loaded 180 A-Frames with very good results at 3410 fps--and 200's at 3175 fps... it truly is my favorite 30 cal. cartridge..incredibly accurate..with all I shoot through it..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com