Tatume
(.400 member)
07/10/09 10:50 PM
Re: SAKO older models?

As the owner of two Model 75 rifles, a Hunter (30-06), and apparently, a Deluxe (270 Win), I was encouraged to offer these observations. I mean no disrespect to the fellow from down under, nor to I disparage the two-lug Sakos.

Quote:

Metalurgy was and is better on the older models.

I see no way for this to be known, nor do I consider it likely. In addition, as the steels used in the Model 75 are obviously more than adequate, I see no way that an “improvement” in this area could make a difference. What problems do we need to overcome in the Model 75 rifles that would be corrected by changing the composition or treatment of the steels used?

Quote:

Bedding system on the pre 75 mod is a lot better.

Examination of the bedding of a Model 75 is a revelation. The fit of metal to wood is so precise, that the addition of synthetic bedding materials is unnecessary. Also, as they say, “the truth is in the pudding.” My 30-06 has been fired extensively, and careful tests of accuracy have been conducted, as I use this rifle in the development of ammunition. The long term average of five shot groups is 1.1 inches; the most recent string of 18 five-shot groups (at 100 yards) averaged 1.087 inches. If the bedding were defective this wouldn’t be possible.

Quote:

The actions were as smooth as silk and never ever had feed problems.
The extractor system worked perfectly and was copied by other companies and custom gun makers.

These are both true of the Model 75.

Quote:

The older models pre the 85 all had recessed or closed bolt faces unlike the 85.

Although I have not personally examined one, the Model 85 that I saw in a magazine appeared to have the same bolt as the Model 75.
Quote:

Trigger gaurd and floorplate were one piece prior to the Mod 75

The Model 75 does indeed have a parting line between the magazine well and the trigger guard. Why is this a disadvantage?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com