Rodders1
(.224 member)
29/09/09 08:53 PM
Re: When little bullets kill big hogs

My father purchased the .222 nearly 40 years ago! He actually was keen on a .243 win, but a know it all gunshop attendant persuaded him to buy this rifle! he has shot numerous bushbuck and bushpig with it (never knew he was going anything "wrong" cos nobody ever told him it was not suitable for those game!) Our local gun mags have for the past ten years or so often pronounced the centre fire .22's as unsuitable for anything heavier than duiker or steenbuck. My dad reckoned it was too late in his life to worry about buying a new rifle, so I bought him some Barnes X and loaded them for him. His best day was three warthog in one day with one shot a piece! All the bullets exited on side on shots!

I have recovered one bullet from a hog he has shot - he hit it at about forty yards and it then ran past him and he hit again at about 30 yards diagonally from the back.

first round exited - good wound channel through lungs!
second round broke ribs, went diagonally through lungs, and then smashed ribs on far side, but then deflected and lodged in shoulder - weight retention was 100%, although weirdly, one petal was broken off, but lying right next to remainder of bullet!

The old guy does not take shots over 120 yards!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com