Homer
(.416 member)
27/07/09 12:11 PM
Re: 7.62x39 - .311 vs .308

G'Day John,

I can't help you with the bore groove diameter of a AIA in 7.62 x 39 (M43). But as the owner of a meter of stacked cases of this ammo, I know how you feel.
In my experience, the biggest problem is- does the AIA barrel have a Chrome Lined Bore?
The Chinese ex-mil ammo is loaded with a Copper-Washed, Steel Jacketed bullet that is very hard on any bore without a chrome lining!

I figure that AIA should/would have sorted any bore diameter problems out, so just buy one and shoot it. In the past (pre 1996), I had used both .308 and ,311" 125gn bullets in my SKS and AK and they shot very well, though the SKS shot better groups.
The bore dia on my SKS was actually - 0.314" but even with this, it would still shoot 1 1/2" groups with the factory open sights at 100Meters, with the above ex-mil ammo.
This rifle/ ex-mil ammo combo, was The Best Pig Shooting Rifle (for tally shooting), that I have ever owned and or used!!!

I was looking at an AIA in .308 on Saturday and apart from the weight (very dense and heavy Teak stock wood), they are a very well made (Vietnamese) firearm.

John, the only feeding problems that I have heard of with these rifles, was with the .223Rem/5.56 NATO versions but if I remember correctly, they don't offer them in this caliber, any more!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com