mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
29/06/09 02:56 PM
Re: First rifle choice for a daughter

Michael J,

I agree with your entiments completely. I decided some time ago that I would never sell any of my guns and that they would go to someone whom I wanted to have them - now I have someone to leave them for. I can't wait for my daughter to grow up and start shooting and hunting with me. May it happen soon!

450 Express,

Thanks for the suggestion. I missed the Gunbroker stock somehow - was away and didn't check in here. I'll keep an eye open for one and do as you suggest. The 69 A is a target model and is quite heavy - almost as heavy as my 8mm Mauser sporter and heavier than my 30-06 without its scope. She will have to shoot it off a bench.

I did toy with the idea of buying a pink Crickett rifle but gave it up and have since been looking at the two options that I posted here about. Yes, I will keep the original stock on the 69 A but am hoping to get the rifle reblued and touched up a lttle as it has seen some bad years as you can see in the pics.

Rustam,

If I had your skill with my hands, I would definitely try to build something for Mehar myself. The problem is that I clearly don't and I can't delude myself into believing that I do. I just don't want to give my girl something that she accepts because she wants to be polite and because Dad built it.

My only worry about BB guns is their terrible accuracy as you point out yourself. They are all right for teaching gun safety etc but not good at all for learning to shoot IMHO. Yes the 69 A is heavy and it will need a rest as several friends have pointed out. Will try 450 Express' suggestion and see if that wrks. FOrtunately, I have more than a little time as Mehar is just 4 months old.

Love the smiles on Shubair and Shane's faces. You guys have to come here and visit us.

Thanks everyone and good hunting, gentlemen!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com