mcb
(.224 member)
12/04/04 11:57 PM
Re: Elk bullet opinion

Alrightly, I was out walking around a bit on the farm looking for some early groundhogs. No luck with the hogs but my brother and I busted a couple 1/2 gallon juice containers with the 270 Win. I was pleased that the jugs did not explode the way they do when I shoot them with a 6mm Rem loaded with hollow points. The 270 Win with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws simply split the jug open and blew the caps off. No extreme explosions of water. That was a good sign that bullets were not coming apart. I could find a nice in and out hole in the jugs. I was shooting into the side of a hill so I did a little digging and manage to recover one of the TBBC bullets. These shots were taken at about 85-90 yds into a hillside. The farm is in East-Central Ohio in the Ohio River valley. The ground is a fairly heavy clay. The bullet had penetrated a 1/2 juice jug and then about 24 inches of that heavy clay soil. The one bullet I recovered was perfectly mushroomed back about 1/2 its length, none of the petals had broken off and the base of the bullet was in perfect shape. I weighed the bullet when I got home after cleaning off the clay and it weighted 131 grains. That’s a 93.6% weight retention of the original 140 grains.

I do want to try some more penetration tests but this initial test makes me feel good about using these bullets on Elk. I hope to try using some water soaked phone books and find a nice piece of bone to put in front of the phone books and see if the bullet performs as well.

Later
mcb

Contact Us NitroExpress.com