mickey
(.416 member)
14/02/09 07:26 PM
Re: Just a few Weatherbys

In 1984 I had a .378 that I used a couple of times in Africa. I didn't like the shiny stock as it reflected like a mirror. I took some 4 ought steel wool and buffed the shine off.

A bit later I dropped it and the stock straight down on the recoil pad and broke the butt. I sent it back to Weatherby and got a note back. It said they were sorry that they could not replace it with an oiled stock as they were out of them. They asked if I would accept a shiny one instead if they upgraded the wood.

I like the calibers, particularly the .340, but don't like the forend. I bought a glass stock that used the Weatherby butt and changed the forearm to a more American Classic design. I love it as the Weatherby butt is perfect for scope use. With a 3x9 Zeiss it weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

I have another friend who wanted to collect a rifle in every Weatherby Caliber. Luckily for him he changed his mind and started collecting Pre 64 Winnies instead.

I have heard the claim that all the lugs do not always make contact in the lug recesses. On my .340 I used Prussian Blue on the lugs. If I remember correctly one lug did not make contact and one other was only a partial. I had intended to have all of the lugs polished but decided that it wasn't that important.

As far as strength goes, have no worries. The same .378 was sold to a friend. He screwed up the powder scale and loaded in an additional 10 grains of powder. When he touched it off it blew out of his hands. He had to beat the bolt open with a 2x4. The shell base and about 1 inch of the shell came out attached to the bolt face. The rest of the case was stuck in the chamber. The chamber was expanded and the lugs were set back.

The owner sent the rifle back to Weatherby to get repaired. They sent him back the open sights I had put on it in a plastic baggie and the offer to replace it at their cost, which was, I believe, around $450US. Oh, and the new rifle had an oiled stock.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com