9.3x57
(.450 member)
09/02/09 01:04 PM
Re: E.R Shaw and Savage

I just finished bedding my rat rifle today, a Savage .223, the ugly model in factory plastic stock.

I really never particularly paid attention to the Savage action before this. It really is an interesting one. Above the wood line they can look quite nice {not mine, but the pretty models}. Below the wood line they are a piece of mechanical cobnobery that has all the visual appeal of the guts of a toaster oven.

I like them.

I actually like the combination of modern stamping, mass production technology applied to a sporting rifle. To me, it is smart engineering.

And there is no doubt they SHOOT.

I bought mine as a rough duty rifle for shooting ground squirrels that were digging up my trees in my plantation. I've killed many hundreds now but after many, many miles and 5 years bouncing around in the 4x4, the action would not stay still in the plastic stock and I got zero shift as a result. A study of the bedding indicated why and thus the need to rebed it.

A tricky action to bed in the cheezy pillar-type plastic stock! Got it figured out, though, I think. Should be ready for squirrel season.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com