9.3x57
(.450 member)
02/02/09 01:34 AM
Re: 9,3x57 loads in the mauser 96

450:

Good news! I've wondered, as I have read that the 9.3x57 is gaining in popularity due to increases in boar numbers and the "perfection" of the 9.3x57 for that game. True?

88:

Technically, I believe, the ACTION is a 94. IIRC, the Swedish military never refered to the ACTION as anything but a 94, and military rifle models 96 and 38 use "94" actions. Having said that, the 96 series actions are slightly different than 94's, can't remember the exact specs here. I need to check Crown Jewels and ask the question over at the Swede Forum for certainty.

Husqvarna 46's use 94/96 actions.

Husqvarna 146's use FN 98 actions. Actually, these were military actions new made and plucked off the line and sold to HVA for use in building guns during a short period 1938-1941 when there was a shortage of Swede actions for commerical use. These FN actions should not be confused with the later FN 98-type actions used during the Model 640 series production.

In addition, there is yet another "96-type" action used by HVA for commercial rifles. It is a regular 96-type without the thumb cut for stripper clip. That is, it has a solid left wall. It continues the ring diameter all the way to the bridge and is a slick looking action. Very sleek and hints at the later series 1600 actions. Sometimes referred to as "strengthened" or "reinforced", I suspect it was in fact merely cheaper to produce as a significant amount of machine time was skipped...

Some buffs state that when Husqvarna referes to an "improved" action as per their 1600 and later guns, the action they "improved" was the 96, not 98. Thus the continued streamlining of actions in HVA production. 98's look "clubby" next to a 96.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com