450_366
(.400 member)
21/01/09 08:42 AM
Re: 35 Whelen vs 9.3x57 ?

Quote:

What's a rifle looney? I don't know, however in the past and somewhat present, I've been playing with a variety of bullets that can be made from 'other' stuff. Here, we have, left to right:
:- a 510gr. soft point made from a shortened .303 case and filled with WW metal for a very hard core. It is a penetrating bullet.
:- same bullet compostion and weight, retained weight 420gr., depth of penetration in a green Fir railway tie @ -40 degrees, lengthwise 14 3/4". It went through 2 3" diameter 'pitch knots' hard as glass. What's this mean- Not sure, but there is little I wouldn't poke one at. Nope, can't think of an animal it wouldn't 'do' as a hard- soft.IMHO
:- same 'type' but made from a .250 Savage case, same weight initially but with pure lead core. Retained weight 480gr. 12" penetration same backstop - end-grain Fir tie, same day as previous bullet - but only 1, 3" diameter glass-hard pitch-filled knot. What's it mean? terific weight retention due to pure lead core - excellent expansion too - great bullet for any north american game and most of what Africa has to offer.IMHO
:- .40S&W case - perfect for making .44 mag and .444 Marlin bullets.
:- 340gr. .375 made from shortened .223 case. These went into 1 3/4" at 100 meters from my 9.5x68 - 2,350fps.
:- same bullet pure lead core - 29" of pine.)meaning- I don't know but what a terrific North American bullet)
:- experimental 220gr. .375 for .375Winchester Levergun. didn't get around to trying them.
:- 3/8" copper tubing - cut off with dull pipecutter leaves a huge flashing on the cut which almost closes the base. It has been removed form the top of the 'jacket'. Simply pour in the core with WW+tin and a bit of flux helps bond the core - good hard bullet. Use 50/50 solder for an extra bonded HARD bullet.
:- last is a .30M1 Carbine case, just waiting to be filled for a heavy bulelt load in any .358 calibre rifle. Shortend to adjust bullet weight.

note, soem bulelts made from some cases need to be run through a die to reduce the diameter a tich - ie: standard brass (.469") used to make .458 bullets. .22-250, .250 Savage are easier on the dies. .303 and .30/40's only need rim removed. The .40S&W must be mic'd. Some made need reducing, not others. .223's for .375's and .30M1's for .358's are fine as-is.

I've never seen a rifle looney, I don't even know what a rifle looney looks like.

I cant even begin imagin the amount of round one must put down ones rifles before going thru all that work, but a rifle loonie, hardly

Contact Us NitroExpress.com