Plains99
(.300 member)
10/07/08 12:23 AM
Re: BSA

Thank you! I'm guessing from the photos and descriptions (especially the bolt face and button ejection system) that I probably have a later Monarch De-Lux. None of the Model names are on the rifle. My rifle has the Williams open rear ramp sight as illustrated on the CF2 page. The forearm stock end piece is like the top Monarch illustration. My rifle has the 55,000 pounds per square inch poof marks. The rifle has the cocking indicator button. The rifle has an orginal K4-1 steel Weaver scope (certainly El Paso made) which would put the rifle in the same era. I paid $450 for the rig (but traded in a revolver to keep the cash payment down) and thought it was a little high (especially since the local Wal-Mart has new .30-06 Weatherby Vanguards on sale for $440) until I shot it at the range. I bought the rifle as a backup for my 300 Wby Mark V and .375 Ruger for out-of-state hunting trips because of its simple scope, open sights, and easy to buy anywhere .30-06 caliber.
The rifle had some minor rough places and some very light rust spots which steel wooled right out and cold blued nicely. I also buffed off the bolt with a wire brush grinder which brought it back to first rate condition. In fact the rifle dressed out with clean up and bluing much better than I expected. Being an old rifle nut, I'm far happier with it than I would have been with a new, economy model in the same caliber.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com