ChrisPer
(.300 member)
15/05/08 12:00 PM
Re: 9.3 vs. 9.5...

Quote:

Naki and ChrisPer: Interesting we have two 9.5's weighing in from Kiwiland and Aussieland. Was there some level of popularity for those rifles there or are they old "Indian stock" that migrated to your countries?

In my case I was working in Zimbabwe and took the opportunity to buy a souvenir classic 'African hunting rifle' with express sights. I saw two other beautiful Mannlichers still with steel buttplates kept in one family, one a 9.5 and one a 6.5. And I saw two 9.5 beaters, mine and one other, in a gunshop. The one I didn't buy had two packs of Kynoch ammo as well. Sadly, its stock had been replaced with a Ruger M77 stock - I like them but the cognitive dissonance was terrible.

I saw many amazing collectors items in Harare.

Australian shooting as a whole just isn't that kind of market. Until 1970 or so, the SMLE .303 was the king. Farmers and roo shooters had Winchesters (generally M92) and Savages, at the most.
Edit: thats way oversimplified of course, but in general we were not a big game market in any way; but maybe NitroX or Marrakai know of the exceptions.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com