Nakihunter
(.375 member)
27/04/08 12:34 PM
Re: Why has the 35 Whelen never caught on?

Quote:

The more I think about it the more I like the 9.3x62 in my Mannlicher carbine with the 98 action.

I may go with the 9.3 and use the factory Norma Vulcan bonded round. For handloading I would prefer Swift A Frames and they make a 250 gr and a 300 gr bullet.

Nakihunter-
Great tip to an American only thinking in terms of American cartridges!!!!

You are welcome doc. Is your rifle a Mauser 98 with a "Mannlicher" type full stock or is it a Mamnlicher-Schoenauer action? If it is a MS action, I would stick to the Nosler manual velocities & not try to increase it. With a M98 action you can go 100 fps higher than the Nosler manual. John Barsness has done some good load development in his CZ550.

The Swift bullet is reputed to give lower velocities due to the sticky jackets. The Nosler partition 286 would be great & so also the Norma 286 gr, Lapua 286 gr & Woodleigh 320 gr!. I am also working with Barns 250gr TSX and the Nosler Ballistic Tip / Accubond at 2600 fps.

I am happy to share the data from my 95 year old Simson. I'll PM you some more info. You might like your "new" rifle so much that you may decide to take it to Africa next time!

I look forward to some pictures after the project is finished.

Happy hunting / shooting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com