DarylS
(.700 member)
24/04/08 01:38 AM
Re: Why has the 35 Whelen never caught on?

Quote:

From what I can find,it is an even better cartridge then the 358Win is. So why is it so over looked?

: Overlooked by whom?
: The .35 Whelen is resonably popular round here by hunters who know the value of descent weight of bullet on moose and bear. There are more .35 Whelens than .358 Win or .356's ior .35 Rems for that matter.
: As Steve said, in areas where there are moose and bear, the round holds some popularity. The .358 Winchester really doesn't come close to matching it - power or popularity. The lack of a broad range of bullet weights and styles hurts the .35 Whelen somewhat, but it does just fine out to my limits of 300 yards using even 250gr. SemiRound noses. Bullet shoice is better these days with Barnes, etc. I do wish Hornady had kept making the 280gr. RN's in .358". They did well in my .358 Norma.
: In comparrison, the .358 makes about 2,250fps with 250's while the .35 Whelen does 2,550fps to 2,650fps. Recoil is much less than a .338 WMag., however the .338Mag. beats the popularity of the .35 Whelen around here.
: Considering that Remington is one of the very few who chamber a rifle for the round, it does quite well. There are more re-barreled 98 Mausers up here in .35 Whelen than Remingtons.
: There are also a few 9.3x62's, even though ammo is unavailable here for that one. All the stores stock .35 Whelen ammo.
: Those of you who think the .338/06 can deliver higher velocities with same weight bullets at the same pressure, you need to study pressure and expansion ratios a bit more.
: Do I have one, no - have something better, a .375/06IMP. A Gibbs reamer was used to cut the body of the chamber so it has 3to4gr. more capacity more than a normal AckImp. Much better, but kicks like it as well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com