dnovo
(.333 member)
10/04/08 10:43 PM
Re: What's your Hardest Kickin Rifle??

Funny, my own Merkel 500 is not that bad. Part of it may be stock. The Merkel fits me fine, but LOP and stock design is a big factor in perceived recoil. What may work for my arm length, hand, etc may not work for your physical characteristics. I had the same issue with a Ferlib-built Dakota DR in 375 Flanged, not normally a hard kicking rifle by any stretch of the imagination. This one had the original stock cut WAY down to fit a petite woman, who then passed on the gun. I tried it as it was a beautifully engraved round bodied Ferlib, which are scarce to begin with. The shortened LOP and altered angles made for a 375 Flanged that felt like a 577. I passed as they didn't want to do a restock and I didn't want to buy it at the price offered without one.

My hardest kicker? 577 Rigby. This one was built a tad light to start with, and should have been regulated for a lighter loading. Nice rifle, but I treat it with a LOT of respect, position my hands very carefully, wear shooting gloves, and make sure I have a firm grip. Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com