NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/04/16 12:48 AM
Re: Why is the search function so bad?

Quote:

I have found the search function to be quite good.
Just make sure you run it out to newer than 10 or 15 years (15 is the max) and choose whether you want to search the subject or body - the body search will give very random results as it will populate any mention of your search terms in all posts.
Leave the "older than" part blank.

Good tips.

If people are getting no results they are doing something wrong. I usually get too many results, hundreds or thousands of them and try to narrow it down instead.

Use "quotation marks" for an exact phrase.

If you use too many search terms you will get too many results. Keep it simple and specific. Don't put eg Mannlicher and Mauser. You will get every post with 'and' in it. Instead best to use two searchs, or just the two words alone. Spelling is important.

Use the posters alias. if known to narrow it down. Same as selecting a specific forum.

I use 'body and title' searches for everything.

Use the date range. If you leave it at 1 week you get bugger all.

If you choose say 15 years the search will be slow and take a long time. Most forums, none (?) offer such a generous time range. As it can slow the whole performance of the forums when used and if too much.

A more polite and constructive opening query would have been "I am getting no results for the following search, ######, why? Thanks."

Contact Us NitroExpress.com