reddy375
(.224 member)
21/02/07 03:04 PM
Re: Blacker than Black Death

I have seen but not shot Gaur. They are timid, shy animals, although are dangerous. A very good friend of mine was killed by one a few years ago. He was a Manager on a Tea Estate in South India One evening as he and his family were sitting down to dinner. The labor came to say that a bison had fallen into a dry pit they had dug to install a water tank or some such thing!

Followed by the workers and a bunch of onlookers they got to the place to see a female bison trying her best to get out. In the commotion that ensured, the bison somehow managed to jump out of the pit and hooked my friend who was unfortunately standing right in her way. He went flying and landed on a pipe that was sticking out of the ground. He suffered a lot of internal damage. Was rushed to the closest hospital 5 hours or more away. After much blood transfusion and some operations, it looked like he was going to make it, but passed on to the Happy Hunting grounds three days later. He was in his middle 40s and left behind two young children and a lovely wife. Very sad.

Foot and mouth disease from village cattle grazing in the forests have killed a lot of Gaur, but they are still fairly plentyful in Southern India and other places. A large bull is a very majestic animal and they are the biggest wild ox in the world. They live in thick bamboo forests and love hilly dense cover....

We have a very nice head at home which my father shot in the 50s I will post a pix of it when I get a moment.

Reddy375

Contact Us NitroExpress.com