NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/12/03 03:58 PM
Peacocks

When reading one of Corbett's books he mentions going on an elephant drive and the bag was

In reply to:

in our first beat along the edge of the forest we picked up five peafowl, three red jungle fowl, ten black partridge, four grey partridge, two bush quail, and three hare. A good sambhar had been put up .....

collecting thirty more birds and a leopard

Fifty-four birds and four animals had been shot that morning - and many more missed

We had gone along the bank of the stream for about a mile, picking up five more peafowl, four cock florican - hens were barred - three snipe, and a hog deer with very good horns

The link is: "A driven game hunt with a difference"

You will note ge mentions taking 10 'peafowl'. I previously thought "Wow, imagine hunting wild peacocks".

But last night I started watching a set of video tapes I purchased on the animal life of the Indian sub-continent by the BBC, titled "Land of the Tiger". In the first episode it shows several times an amazing scene of a peacock flying with full featered train across an evening sky. Absolutely magical .

Now I am not so sure if I could ever shoot one of these fabulous birds. Pretty academic as probably will never have the chance .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com