NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/08/03 02:06 AM
Re: Blacker than Black Death

Frederik

That aint not kaffir bull (or whatever they are called in PC language).

While it does have some resemblance to a domestic bull in broad features, have a look at the bone and muscle structure. Now look into its eyes. Imagine yourself in the moist, dark jungles of India and you walk into a small clearing and this monster is staring at you at fifteen yards range. And all you have is a pipsqueak .375 (or .450 for that matter).

Mpofu

Even though these gaur or seladang are related to Banteng they definitely seem to be larger and more powerfully built. And from reports of those who have hunted them in the Top End (out of the price range of Aussie hunters) they are very agile and elusive. Similar to the Northern Sambar deer of the same forests. Which goes well with your comments of the elusive Gaur.

I want to try to find the passage from a book - Baker ??? - who described a Gaur attack on a hunter in I think it was Burma. How the gaur tossed the hunter many times, left and came back again and again. While the others watched from the trees where they had taken shelter. The gaur had been wounded but not disabled.

I read this passage from a book I borrowed from the Kensington and ? Library in London when I lived there and read up on all things African prior to my first visit. The book dealt a lot with India, but I think it was in the same section so read it out of interest.

Do you - or anyone - know which book this might be ?

I would like to post the passage from the book on the forums or ezine.

By the way, the Jeffrey double does not have water buffalo engraved on it but Gaur. I searched the web for photos of Gaur to compare them to the engraving and believe they are more Gaurish than Buff. Will try to post a couple of photos of the engraving for others opinions but hard to get the rather shallow engraving to show up well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com