eagle27
(.400 member)
17/08/22 07:22 PM
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread

Quote:

The bloke was quite humble from my reading.

I didn't think the presented rifle was early in his career. But never thought about time lines.

Also maybe the presented rifle hung on the wall as a "trophy" with its engraved plague.

It would be interesting to know some of these questions.

The presentation Rigby having a two stage trigger or not should be easy to answer.

My question remains. I thought Corbett was using a .275 when shooting the tiger one handed at close range. Which rifle was that?

Because I thought Corbett was presented with the Rigby .275 for that tiger? And it was mentioned in that book? Been a while since I have read them all.

It was the Chowgarh man-eater tigress Corbett shot one handed with his .275 rifle - Chapter 3 in his book, Man-eaters of Kumaon.

This man-eater claimed 64 victims from 15 December 1925 to 21 March 1930 and Corbett started hunting it in April 1929. He did not manage to kill it after a month trying and resumed his hunt in February 1930 and after some missed shots at the tigress he finally bagged the Chowgarh man-eater on 11th April 1930 by slowly bringing his .275 rifle round and up in an arc using a one handed grip and arm extension until the sights aligned on the crouching tigress a few feet away, a single bullet to the spine and top of the heart finished once and for all the tigress' 5 year killing spree.

Again Corbett only mentions using a .275 rifle, no particular brand given. The killing of the Chowgarh man-eater was 23 years after the so called Rigby presentation 'durbar'.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com