Marrakai
(.416 member)
12/08/22 10:56 AM
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread

Couple of fairly obvious errors in that account though if my understanding is correct:

Quote:

Corbett’s main double rifle was a .450-400 by W.J. Jeffery. This chambering was the most popular of double rifle rounds at the turn of the 20th century. It was outlawed for civilian use in India in 1907

Pretty sure that ban was only .450 chamberings, not .400 chamberings.
In any case, how could Corbett have owned a .400 Jeffery if the chambering was banned?

Also, the .470 Nitro having "very similar performance" to the .400 Jeffery is a long bow to draw. Maybe when compared with a .22 Rimfire...

Quote:

I think he means a black powder express rifle re-chambered and proofed for ‘Modified Cordite’.

Rechambered?? I don't think so...
IIRC that rifle is currently owned by a fellow contributor here, Was it a .577/.500 No.2 ?? Perhaps a Rodda?

Anyway...
will keep reading.
Good article, love this stuff!

Edit:
Quote:

Westley Richards as Mauser agents from 1898 until 1903, sold Mauser rifles, carbines and pistols to most of the British gun trade, including Rigby

This is not what the published Rigby history would have us believe!

...and
Quote:

A full list of Corbett’s rifles, used over the duration of his hunting career include: his double barrelled childhood muzzle-loader, with burst barrel and wired-together stock, his .577/450 Martini-Henry Volunteer rifle, a borrowed .450 muzzle loader, his .275 Westley Richards with set-trigger, a .500 ‘modified’ double rifle, his .450/.400 NE Jeffery and a borrowed 12-bore shotgun, loaded with ‘Kynoch Lethal Ball’.

Where's the Rigby .275??

And I don't believe the WR .275 had a set trigger. My recollection is that it had a 2-stage trigger, but perhaps a re-read is in order to confirm my recollection.

"Tall Trees" should be Tree Tops...

Really sorry about this post, ended up sounding quite negative, not my intention. Fully support as much material on Corbett as possible being published for us to enjoy.

...except when
Quote:

making clear an often muddied history

...the muddying is perpetuated by shortcomings in the article concerned!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com