Ripp
(.577 member)
16/11/18 12:52 AM
Re: Turkey--2018--Bezoar Ibex

Quote:

Looks like you had a very good hunt, makes the whole experience even more memorable if you have to work hard all week and only get your kill on the last day. Good clean shot as well although I note that you used Accubonds and not the normal Swift A-Frame. Superb scenery as well. Good on you.

Matt.

I have used Accubonds on lighter skinned game since mid-2000's.. they work great on smaller game OR if your velocity is lower on impact..I do NOT recommend them for high velocity cartridges with mv of 3150-3200 and above..I used 180AB in my 300RUM on my first trip to Zim in 2004--big mistake--exploded everything..reason, 1. most shots were 150 yards or less..2. my mv was 3370fps with that load..

The only bullet I have used out of my 280AI is the Accubond. they shoot extremely well.. in fact FACTORY Nosler loads group at 1/2" with my Lex Webernick rifle..so I don't even reload for it..use factory ammo..

Have used this bullet on numberous Ibex, Tur, Big Horn Sheep, and pronghorn antelope. ALL with excellent performance. On this Bezoar Ibex--the impact yardage was a bit over 430..performance was excellent..never penetrated out the opposite side..yet left hole about the side of a .50 piece... perfect .. have seen that performance time and again out of this gun/cal combo..so, yes, will keep using it.

Where I find the Swift A-Frames shine is in the higher velocity calibers such as 7mmRUM, 300RUM, 338RUM, my .264 W Mag, 257 Weatherby, etc... weight retention for both the Swift Scirocco(70-80%) and the A-Frame which is around 90% or above, at least that is my experience on the ones I have recovered and weighed exceed the Noslers substantially. The Partition and Accubond's are more in the 50-60% range and that is IF the velocities are not super fast..

All good bullets in their proper applications ..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com