NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/12/04 09:25 AM
Re: India and S.E. Asia

In reply to:

since Burma has not seen any major wars since the second world war.m Wildlife had a chance to flourish there. There are some minor insurgencies in the border areas.
Have no idea about whether they allow hunting for foreigners.

The Burmese highlands have been nothing BUT warfare for decades! At one time there were over 28 warlords with 28 armies controlling the highlands and all disputing each other and the central government. From the Karens to the UDA. Some warlords and armies were entirely drug trade based, others philosophical and looking for independence from Rangoon. The Central government had next to no control of the highlands at all.

I have known people to enter the highlands and have a battle going on on one hill while they were on another, on a tourist trek. No thanks!

When I entered Burma in 1996 in the Highlands of the Golden Triangle and visited a border market there were leopard skins and tiger pizzles for sale at numerous stalls. I have video footage of the stalls taken discretely. If any wildlife survives in these Asian countries where animal life is rated as just a sellable commoditity and no worth in itself it would be very lucky.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com