9.3x57
(.450 member)
21/03/09 11:11 PM
Re: man eating tiger shot

Really interesting thread.

Injuries...

Those of us that hunt bear, cougar, etc find injuries on them all the time and they don't go maneating. I have always been skeptical of the reports that link injuries to maneating and suspect that some go maneating simply because they like the taste. IN fact, I think the direct link is anthropomorphic thinking.

My theory is that certain carnivores, by mere time and chance, find that each of the sensory obstacles that separate them from humans {odd metallic sounds, smells, upright silhouette of the body, etc} are really not obstacles at all. Once enough of these strange stimuli are learned to be no direct threat by experience, the obstacle to attacking man is overcome and if a human is presented an attack occurs. Once an attack occurs, for the most part the animal realizes that the sensory obstacles are absolutely no threat at all, the meat is good, and they continue to attack.

An injury may be a stress mechanism that starts the overcoming of sensory obstacles, but does not necessarily have to be the cause.

Lack of normal prey or mere opportunism may also be sufficient. Once learned, hard to stop.

Just my theory.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com