Nakihunter
(.375 member)
13/05/08 11:23 AM
Re: Gunzinindia

I'd like to make a few other points.

Firearm licences are usually restricted to a district (like a county). If you are more influential you can get a state permit. A national permit is difficult to get today. Age restriction is 21 years. The Nawab of Patawdi has been under prosecution / litigation for shooting a Black Buck (protected game) & the gun was traced to his daughter who was 19 at that time. The courts have ruled that she is not eligible to have the licence. I got my national gun licence when I was 19 because dad was a senior forestry official & a mate of the police commissioner. Such flexibility will probably be very limited now. Every firearm is registered with serial no.

Carrying a hand gun for protection is also very restricted. Usually VIPs / politicians get such licences.

Semi auto shotguns & centre fire rifles used to be banned. 22 semiautos & handguns used to be allowed.

30 years ago the most common firearms used to be muzzle loaders. Many were illegally made & numbered with an old relic's serial number & thus getting legitimised.

Getting ammo is also very difficult. You either have the right contacts or get imports (which again requires contacts & $$). Reloading is difficult as the so called smokeless powder is actually a form of "crystal" "black" powder. This is possible only for shotguns & the risk of corroding the gun is very high. I still have my hand loading kit with manual roll crimper etc. - made of brass & in the same design as the paper cartridge loading sets of the early 1900s!

The illegal firearm trade is still very active. In parts of the country it is possible to buy an AK47 & 2000 rounds of ammo for about $1500. Shotguns & handguns are also available in the black market. The risks of getting caught may be low because the cost of implementing controls is so high & impractical. But if you do get caught, the consequences can be disastrous - as was the case with a movie star & the Nawab of Patawdi.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com