NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/06/03 12:22 AM
The Tiger and the Hunter - Mpofu

Mpofu supplied the following photo.

• Any idea who the hunter is?

• Size of the Tiger?

Mpofu - thanks for the interesting photo.

Added to ezine photos -

Old Asian Hunting Photos

Mpofu
(.300 member)
01/06/03 12:57 AM
Re: The Tiger and the Hunter - Mpofu

A further question, (especially for Gryphon),
Can you name the tiger?
Mpofu.

ovis
(.300 member)
01/06/03 03:50 AM

NitroX,

Mr.Corbett. My Corbett books are boxed up in storage so I'll guess: Powalgarh maneater?(sp)

Joe

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
01/06/03 03:58 AM

Hunter is "Brass Balls"

Tiger's name is "One Big Muthah"

I am not a scholar of Indain hunting but I will go with Corbett too. The tiger is over 500 pounds. I'd sure hate to get hugged by those paws.

gryphon
(.450 member)
01/06/03 06:47 AM

My bet is that the hunter is Jim Corbett,certainly looks like the old pukka sahib and that yes it is the Bachelor of Powagarh.I have included a pic from my 1952 edition(first illustrated) of M/eaters of Kumaon showing how Jimmy boy shot out his lights.This edition has the most superb drawings on the subject that i have seen to date and i might as well share some of them with the members here.

Mpofu
(.300 member)
01/06/03 07:57 AM

The Bachelor of Powalgarh he was, apparently 10'7" over curves...I have a pic that will really test you rather knowledgable folks, and will ask NE to post it up, if he doesn't mind.
Mpofu.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/06/03 09:22 PM

No problem - just email me the picture.

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
02/06/03 12:15 AM

While we are on the history of hunting in India, and tiger hunting in general, many of you guys in Aussie Land have double rifles, that were from India, when they were outlawed there. Everyone who has one, should try to have it researched to find out if they connect with Col, Corbett. If you find that it does, it will explode in value, and become a very desireable piece to a collector! Deffinetly worth the cost of research!

I would also say this is Corbett, but there were many officers in the English Army who hunted Tigers, and Elephant there, so it could be about anyone!

4seventy
(Sponsor)
02/06/03 09:06 AM

Hey Ann, are you sure they're brass? I thought Mr Corbett might have achieved Golden Balls status!
And I bet he had no idea that one day those long shorts he's wearing would be back in fashion.

Bigfive
(Sponsor)
02/06/03 05:37 PM

Brass balls and "board shorts" sounds more like a surfer on a tidal wafe.
Must have been steel and weighing about 25lb each.
One marvelous looking tiger,wish I had one in the trophy room!!!!!!

Mpofu
(.300 member)
02/06/03 06:18 PM

Dugaboy 1,
You are quite right about a lot of doubles from India ending up in Australia, though I don't really think they were outlawed in India. There are still quite a few doubles in the sub-continent, in fact I recently picked up a 470 Westley Richards for a real bargain from there.
As far as I can recall, Corbett took his favourite rifles to Kenya with him, he probably sold the others to Manton's in Calcutta.
Mpofu.

EzineAdministrator
(.333 member)
05/02/06 06:30 PM

BTTT

Sujay
(.224 member)
15/04/06 03:45 PM

Minor correction. The Bachelor of Powalgarh was not a man eater. Corbett in fact was regularly fed descriptons of it's hide and what a good trophy it would make. Ultimately he went after the bachelor before others could bag it.

reddy375
(.224 member)
02/02/07 02:22 PM

Thats Jim Corbett with the Batchelor Of Powalgarh

shooter
(.224 member)
28/08/10 02:14 AM

The bachelor was one of many tigers shot by jim corbett. He was the largest.
Though known as a man eater hunter, most of cats he shot werent man eaters.
In his last season before he quit shooting he "used every trick in the book" to bag tigers.
What is also not mentioned in books that a tiger shooting permit was given to the hunter who shot a maneater for free. While Corbett hunted, majority of maneaters in India were in an area within hunting distance of Corbett's home.

He still is my hero and nothing will take that away.

Ben
(.400 member)
28/08/10 07:11 AM

Cool photo.

asad_1266
(.224 member)
19/05/11 08:50 PM

Jim Edwards Corbett (Hunter)

Bachelor of Powalgarh (Hunter)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com