Lynx
(.224 member)
14/06/08 02:38 PM
old hunting picture - India

Photograph taken in Alwar state, Maharaj Jay Singh of Alwar can be seen standing with sola topee or hat behind the tiger. My great grandfather is 2nd from the right with sola toppee in hand.

When Maharaja Jay Singh of Alwar *visited the showrooms of Rolls-Royce in London, the salesman implied that he couldn't afford to purchase the new model, am told he purchased 10, shipped them home & converted them into garbage trucks.

Added to the ezine photos thread - Old Asian Hunting Photos

gatsby
(.375 member)
14/06/08 05:33 PM
Re: old hunting picture - India

Great photo. Do you have any details of the hunt, year, area, weapons etc.

Lynx
(.224 member)
16/06/08 03:45 AM

unfortunately no details, the original print was glued to a hard matt board for framing decades ago, details, if any behind the print were lost. Will ask some of the elders if they have any details.

lynx

gatsby
(.375 member)
16/06/08 09:34 AM

Great photo anyway.

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
04/07/08 10:53 AM

"Honey, I'm just going tiger hunting with a few of my friends"

Lynx, that is a magnificent photo! As much as I like reading about African hunting, I'm more fascinated by India's history and traditions. Thanks for posting it.

Bob

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/07/08 04:43 PM

Lynx

Great photo from history. Those were different days to today. Thanks very much for posting.

moazzam
(.224 member)
19/09/08 03:01 AM

excelent photo......

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
19/09/08 09:12 AM

I would like to have seen the Rolls Royce garbage trucks!

450_366
(.400 member)
23/09/08 07:00 AM

Nice photo, did anyone count the beaters?

Ben
(.400 member)
23/09/08 09:43 PM

That's a grand photo! Thanks for sharing it! So, the Maharaja had the flashest garbage trucks, eh!

Story
(.333 member)
04/11/08 09:57 PM

Quote:

When Maharaja Jay Singh of Alwar *visited the showrooms of Rolls-Royce in London, the salesman implied that he couldn't afford to purchase the new model, am told he purchased 10, shipped them home & converted them into garbage trucks.

That's a great story! I had to look it up for more details...

Here in India, the Rolls-Royce was a hot favourite with the erstwhile Maharajas. Some of them made truly bizarre modifications to their cars, and others collected as many as they could. The Maharaja of Patiala had 38, the Maharaja of Mysore, 35. The Nizam of Hyderabad had a throne installed, and a roof that looked like a starry night sky. The Maharaja of Alwar was so furious with the company for refusing to carry out certain modifications, that he converted his six Silver Ghosts to garbage trucks.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2000/11/25/stories/13251101.htm

Contact Us NitroExpress.com