Matt_Graham
(Sponsor)
21/02/07 03:41 PM
Re: Do you guy shoot dingos?

The only problem is that they have actually changed the scientific naming of the 'dingo' from the common garden-variety dog (Canis familiaris) to (Canis lupus dingo) ie. closer to the wolf. I don't know if this difference was provable by genetic means but I do understand that there are some recognised differences (eg dingo dont bark like a dog). I understand that there are genetic differences but I dont know for sure.

So, there are implications for US hunters coming to Australia and want to take a dingo/wild dog/hybrid trophy home with them. No one wants to try to import an animal with the name Canis lupus because of the Cities issues and of course they dont want to be caught doing the wrong thing (eg. importing a protected animal - ie. dingo from the NT - that's a US Fed. offence). If the authorities there want to take issue with a certain animal they may well be able to do a DNA test to prove it's origin? I don't know and I dont want to be the one to test it really . Having said that I am exporting a dog for someone at the moment - a Victorian high-country wild-dog - and it will be labelled Canis famil. - so I guess I am testing the waters in some way...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com