Bushie
(.224 member)
13/12/05 02:16 AM
Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions

Quote : Occasionally a client or hunter has a different main objective. Like Orion he has a new 'vintage' rifle and wanted to use it.

Whilst Orion obviously managed to kill a couple of buff , is quite probably a good shot and knows something of anatomy I'm surprised that the PH let him go ahead with the 6.5mm . At the end of the day IMO we (and PH's can influence our decisions)) have a responsibility to use a calibre that is sufficient to humanely dispatch the game animal in the event that something doesn't go exactly to plan . To do otherwise invites the scorn of fellow hunters (as has been demonstrated on this forum) but more importantly the non - hunting public . Unfortunately a publicised failure on Orion's behalf would have reflected poorly on not only him but hunters in general . Not many of us like wearing the sh-t that rains down when one of our peers makes a poor decision .
My understanding is that the European "WEI HEI" tradition implies respect for the fallen quarry . I would implore Orion to consider a humane death for his quarry above his desire to test the outer limits of his Mannlicher and his marksmanship .
There is another internet hunting forum that I look at and post on occassionally called longrangehunting . I have the same issues with shooting (at) Elk at 750 yards that I have with using marginal calibres on game . When the S.H.T.F. the animal is the one that suffers .
A hunter needs to be very careful when relating his exploits if he is prone to pushing the envelope in terms of what may generally be considered humane . Some of the audience will be impressed , most will not .
This is not meant as a personal attack on Orion and I hope he can see that . If it prompts anyone to reflect upon their own similar actions and perhaps reconsider then it will have been successful .My guess is that most of us have made shots that in hindsight we're not proud of .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com