NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/12/05 04:29 AM
Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions

1. Orion has shot a fairnumber of buffalo in the past with his .270 and had no problem with using his 6.5 mm. His main need for advice was only what projectile to select for his handloads.

2. I posted the thread and I had no intention of using a 6.5mm. The post was only for discussion to see what comments members or experiences the members had to share. I had no intention of 'demanding' anything of him.

3. I did suggest Orion talk it over with the outfitter and make sure they were both comfortable with the idea. The outfitter had no real concerns. They were both aware, a close stalk would be required. A careful shot and good placement required. Perhaps some animals could not be attempted if the ideal shot was not presented. The guide or PH would be of course armed with a much more powerful rifle and I guess decide when and how he joined in if necessary.

4. One buffalo took 3 or 4 shots (I forget exactly how many, I wasn't there). One careful shot into the 'boiler room' and the PH yelled for Orion to make additional shots at the rear of the retreating animal which Orion actually with hindsight disagreed with as they were ineffectual as he guessed they would be. Maybe a fourth shot into the chest, but I forget.

The SECOND buffalo per Orion took one shot. Again the PH asked for additional shots but this time Orion ignored him and after a short while the buffalo died from loss of blood and the effects of a one-shot fatal wound.

Interestingly my own buffalos also took several shots. The first shot each time would have been more dramatic as the buffalo certainly came crashing down, unlike the "shiver" Orion got.

My belief is the only shots that will quickly and cleanly kill any very large animal is a brain shot, or a neck spinal shot. With any calibre. With other shots one must wait for internal haemoraging for the beast to die and in a large animal this is not instant.

5. Ethics. As the above proves, the results were similar. In fact I would argue the stress and shock on the buffalo would be greater with my large bore than the medium bore. But neither causes me to loose sleep. Maybe worriers should take up knitting kharki jumpers instead.

6. Matt's post was obvious meant to be humorous and was. Your post was a classic flaming post. An argument from another thread was interjected into a discussion unrelated.

7. Everyone has an opinion. People can state their opinions here. It makes for lively discussion. But why do some people need to believe only their opinion is right and must be followed by everyone else?

8. We do have video of Orion's hunts and will oneday post it. Whether it "proves" anything I don't know. Never was the hunt meant to "prove" anything. It was a gentleman's desire to use a new favorite rifle legally on a game animal he had not hunted with it before for his pleasure. I imagine that 6.5mm will take most game species in Australia before it is one day hung up and it is already well on the way, including I believe a large free range bull elk (yep Aussie elk! ). I'm guessing camel might be a strong possibility for 2006.

If you are impatient for the videos, they may take a while as I don't even have a copy of them yet, have never yet created a movie file for the net, and want to decide how they are presented, maybe you can post some nice buffalo hunting stories and photos of your own on NE.com. Might even win a Double Gun Journal magazine if you are lucky.

Marty, have fun and I hope you continue to enjoy NE.com.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com