Marty
(.300 member)
10/12/05 02:55 AM
Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia'

In reply to:

Marty

What has shooting "biggest game" in Australia to do with this thread of a movie scene hunting rhino?

Ahhh. Nothing. The .218 Bee thing was a joke. As was Matts comment.

In reply to:

Was the thread a request for "advice"? I thought it was just a topic for discussion. Marraki if I remember was the only poster who had actually used a 6.5 mm M-S.

Only so many ways to interpret "Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for water buffalo?" Sounds like someone asking for advice to me. When the ONLY member who has hunted them with a 6.5 MS comes back and says he has 50% failure rate with that calibre, what other conclusion can you draw than it is an inadequte calibre? This is a guy who has shot no end of buff with no end of calibres. Yet despite this advice, the hunt went on. Fine. But if you are going to ignore advice, from people who know, why ask advice in the first place? If Marrakai had a 100% failure rate on Buff, would the hunt with the 6.5 have gone ahead? I suggest it would have.

And I would suggest that based on the information provided, and the questions asked, that the hunt of a Buff with a 6.5 MS was unethical, and unwarrented based on the fact other calibres were available. I would also suggest the reasons for using this calibre considered the animal last, not first. And that the line between a downed animal, and a screw up was very thin.

Any "One shot kill" when an animal has four rounds in it. Is not a one shot kill in my book. Period.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com