CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
30/10/05 12:05 AM
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo?

Nitro,

From Dictionary.com

eth·ic
n.

1. (a) A set of principles of right conduct.
(b) A theory or a system of moral values: “An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain” (Gregg Easterbrook).

2. ethics (used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy.

3. ethics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.

sport·ing
adj.

1. Used in or appropriate for sports: sporting goods.

2. Characterized by sportsmanship.

3. Of or associated with gambling.

The appropriate definition under "sporting" would be the second one, "Characterized by sportsmanship."

sports·man·ship
n.

1. The fact or practice of participating in sports or a sport.

2. Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

Here the second definition seems to apply. That definition is clearly predicated on values or moral philosophy; hence, ethics.

It comes down to two aspects: (1) what is perceived by the collective hunting community as appropriate, and (2) what standards the individual hunter holds himself to.

I'm not posting this to be contentious. I just want to explain my thoughts in using the term "ethical" in my earlier post. Any way you analyze it, values and philosophy are the touchstones, whether it be characterized "ethics" or "sportsmanship".

Best regards,

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com