Marrakai
(.416 member)
03/05/24 09:06 AM
Re: Another Hike in the Hills

Thanks gentlemen.

Matt: I had to rationalize a bit this year, on account of my disappointment last time trying to carry-out all the meat in one lift. Ended up having to dump a hindquarter in the bush halfway up the divide! ...and it still almost killed me!

Perhaps I carry too heavy a pack to start with, being fully prepared to spend a night out even with a turn in the weather, the boy scout in me just won't let go!

So this time I salvaged the backstraps, blades, and tenderloins, and left the rumps. If the weather was cooler and I had the time, they would have been hung in the shade in a couple of the cotton pillow-cases I carry, and retrieved on the subsequent "armed bushwalk".
Still an exhausting carry out, but he was off the steepest country when I nailed him, and I only had one major saddle to scale. Too, when hunting solo one can stop and rest as frequently as necessary without holding anyone up!

Daryl: that rifle is the Ruger M77 MkII RSI .308 that I have used pretty-much exclusively for the hills. Not really "traditional" in a stalking rifle sense but now discontinued so it will be a "classic" one day!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com