(.333 member)
29/09/05 03:54 AM
Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt II

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" - Part II

Due to the large number of photos this thread is best viewed threaded

INDEX
"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream";

Top End 2005 - Main Index

Having lunched and sighted in our rifles, a short hunt was called for that evening. Graham, Anne and Wal were off in another direction while Orion, Paul and I were to do a short drive along a water course to the South.

Our first buffalo was quickly sighted. Orion was keen, but Paul informed us we would see many more to choose from. This buffalo was sighted again and again. A nice "camp buffalo" maybe for a bow hunter or someone desparate on the last day of their hunt .

Off he goes.

Continuing our drive that evening we spotted eagles and crows on a river bank. The previous client the week before had shot his trophy buffalo at that sight and now the carcase was a feast for the carrion eaters of the air.

The drive was a short one. We spotted a few buffalo in the distance at times but nothing worth stalking. Our plan that evening was just to have a look but if something worthwhile was seen to get out, approach, stalk up to the beast and then decide.

With the shadows growing we returned to camp.

An early start and a long walk the next morning. While Wal, Anne and Graham again drove off to the South, we headed on foot to the North to head towards the Wilton River valley. Being a 2x1 hunt it was Orion's day to take the first bull if an opportunity arose.

Crossing various rocky knoles and grassy ridges we came across a nice buff bull but he was aware and kept a good distance, well over two hundred metres. Too far for the 6.5mm and also too far for me to be confident with my open sighted double. I loved the sight of the bull as he huge rear end galloped up the ridge to cross a saddle in the range of hills. These beasts are large and have a presensce in the bush.

The morning was turning hot so we broke for a rest near a buffalo 'pad' on top of a ridge. A large circular spot where the brass was pressed down or rubbed down to the sand. A spot for a buff bull to lie down during the heat of the day, catch some of the breezes and watch three-quarters of any approach to him. We came to this spot from the other one-quarter .

The buffalo's view from his 'pad' on top of the hill. He would
easily be able to spot any approach from anywhere except
from directly behind.

Later down into the Wilton Valley we made our way to the river. The river had a decent flow of fresh clear water. There were obviously signs of game drinking at the springs that fed the main river. While sitting and watching the river, Paul gave us a titbit of information that Orion would later much enjoy. Paul informed us that wherever a log or rock 'damned' up the stream a little with a deeper pool beyond, a snooty grouper or "black bream' fish would likely be in residence.

A couple of dingoes were sighted. They quickly made
tracks for safer territory. They are however protected in the
Northern Territory but may be shot in South Australia,
Western Australia etc.

We continued our 'march' along the banks of the Wilton and later crossed back across the rocky ranges to camp.

This non-trophy buffalo bull was sighted near to the camp
on the return march. We stalked it for filming purposes. Later
it ran to the right to join a sizable herd of cows and calves.

A welcome lunch was waiting for us of cold meats, salad, bread and cheeses. A cold 'shandy' quenched my thirst.

Graham and Wal having arrived a couple hours earlier left soon after we began our meal.

Orion and I discussed the hunting so far and we both had doubts on whether on chosen firearms and calibres were going to do the job. So far almost all the buffalo had proven very skittish and only long range shots could have been taken. My .450 double only had open sights and I am not keen to shoot over a hundred yards with it so far. My .375 H&H bolt with scope however I felt was better for such situations. Orion's little 6.5mm was also considered for replacement by a 7mm STW with suitable projectiles for that fast cartridge.

Paul however assured us we would get opportunites suitable for what we were looking for, so we decided to heed his advice and continue as is.

After a break for lunch and the heat of the mid-day we again headed off to the South.

Our first success! At the same spot we had earlier sighted the crows and eagles, eagle-eyed Orion spotted a boar in the shadows. Off they went with me following a little behind. Using natural cover and the many trees they reached a depression in the ground on the near side of the creek, allowing a shot of about 50 metres. One boar for the 6.5mm.

This photo was taken later just before sunset. Orion and his
first boar to the 6.5 mm.

No time for photographs according to Paul and Orion, they wanted buff so off we went. We could return on the way home to take a trophy plus photos.

Further along the creek it widened into some sandy 'beaches' with the water running under undercut ridges. A good number of buffalo were in residence. Forty or fifty, who knows how many exactly. A very careful approach. The buffalo were unaware of our prescence but were restless and moving around. I stayed back so not to spook them and used the video camera when I could. Little rocky hillets provided cover and opportunity to scan the herd below. The buffalo gradually moved off to the North along the river. Paul informed me on returning that there were no trophy bulls, it was a herd of cows and calves and immature bulls.

We returned to the hunting car, a cut down old full sized Landcruiser "troopie", returned to Orion's boar for photos and back to camp to find Wal had succeeded on a very nice buffalo bull. Congratulating him on his buffalo, the first kill of the week.

Orion and Paul returning to the hunting car.

Return to the Story Index

Contact Us NitroExpress.com