NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/03/24 03:13 AM
Re: "Traditions of Yesteryear", Stockwell Hunt Club, Barossa

Not the same group,but many members in common, the Fox Cull Group shot 84 foxes last Saturday. Highest tally any single day. I didn't attend that shoot but did the shoot two weeks prior. 54 foxes that day. Four shoots this year, I'll go again first Saturday April.

I saw four foxes, one at a time, All in one stand. A dry shallow creek crossed in front of me. The foxes ran to it, into it, then ran along it out of sight. I was going to shoot at the fourth though really too far, but the walking guys had arrived, one a little too close behind the fox. Using 36 GM loads of BBs. The foxes ran along the creek, and usually I heard shots in that direction a few minutes later. I think sitting much closer to that creek would be better. But the guy to my right was elderly and didn't want to climb the fence so I was limited in how far it was safe to go forward. Next time maybe different.

About 33 shooters when I shot. Ten or so blockers. The rest walking. 20 to 30 KMs in a day, Four drives, one drive in three successive parts. Some become blockers by the end, some swap. Walkers shoot the most. I've got some health issues at the moment, can't even walk in a straight line for long so blocking is it.

Foxes are driven and shot in late Summer and Autumn when still young and stupid. Unfortunately the hides are Summer hides are not thick furred. None are skinned, left to rot. 138 furs would make a wonderful rug in one go. The farmers want foxes culled before the lambing season.

A normal year is maybe 130 to 170 foxes. 2024 promises to be a good year.

The old Stockwell Hunt Club shot foxes, hares and rabbits. A score was collected for each. Far more rabbits in the rabbit plague conditions before the introduction of myxomatosis.

But lots of roos today. None shot of course. Roos jumping all over the place as each drive got going, I had one roo sit in front of me unaware of me, The back of its head an inch in front of my shotguns muzzles. The gun in my lap.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com