NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/05/23 09:23 PM
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North

Quote:

The remains of the old Stuart Highway. I drove this route the first and last time in April 1984. The "highway" at the time from Kingoonya to just South of the Territory border was a dirt, gravel and bulldust track, full of road corrugations, holes filled with slippery and fine bulldust which filled the Landcruiser through any small gap, raised cattle grids from the road being worn down on each side. It was fun, but took us 24 hours of non stop driving to drive to the border. Car wrecks littered the side of the road from the unwary. At night every here and there were campfires of the occaisonal travellor camping for the night.

It was cool and adventurous compared to a surfaced road.

Returning from that trip in May 1984 we avoided this route and took the Oonadatta Track instead, another dirt road, but actually better though longer, by a round about way.

We didn't know at the time that the Stuart Highway had actually been finished while we were away and it was now all surfaced, the same highway as today.

I wonder if this old road can still be driven. Might be "fun" and relive memories from 1983 or 84. 4WDing clubs would know. Some 4WDer enthusiasts only try to drive the old rough tracks for as much of a drive North as possible.

I think the speeds would be much slower. Even slower than when it was a "highway". A trip in itself, never mind the destination. Probably better to drive with a partner vehicle. Might not be many other vehicles, a month of waiting might become tedious.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com