NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/03/23 04:09 PM
Re: Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5

Quote:

"Water Buffalo Hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 5

We had the task of shooting a calf for the blackfellas, the animals legs to be removed and distributed to the main four families, plus some choice cuts for the camp. Why eat a tough old bull when you can eat veal.

But that was for late afternoon. The sandy ridges should provide a calf fairly easily.

As expected the herds had moved into the ridges prior to evening and a calf was quickly spotted. Matt using the .375 made a fine headshot on a buff calf while the rest of the herd fled.

"Veal"!

Removing the legs for blackfella tucka

The hunt wasn't over though. While collecting branches to shade the meat, only a few metres from the butchered calf, a boar trotts past me. I was stunned as it walked a mere 5 metres passed me but Steve was quicker on my report and gave chase to dispatch it and take a photo of a pig as a trophy too.

Pigs at Gan Gan are targets of opportunity, but several were sighted over the week

The night ended with the meat being distributed to the traditional owners. What a great ending to a fine week of hunting. Maybe I would be back in the Top End again next year or perhaps much sooner .......

Copyright 2023 - all rights reserved

I don't think I mentioned. While Steve and Matt were busy butchering the calf. And I was busy cutting fronds and branches to cover the meat with. A Taipan snake slithered along at a good speed from a fair distance away and past Matt and Steve two metres behind and away it went. Never concerned by us. If we were blackfellas it might have been put in the pot! Matt and Steve never knew how close it was behind them until I told them.

I wonder on hunts how often we are acstep or two away from a nasty death.

Btw a very good reason to put a couple of snake bite bandages in every day pack, vehicle, belt pack or a pocket. Plus a wound bandage or two. Sounds, snake bite, used with a splint for breaks etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipan

Taipans are snakes of the genus Oxyuranus in the elapid family. They are large, fast-moving, highly venomous, and endemic to Australia and New Guinea. Three species are recognised, one of which, the coastal taipan, has two subspecies. Taipans are some of the deadliest known snakes.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com