Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
10/09/22 11:08 AM
Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs

I thought I might just pike in regarding that trip and add a couple of bits of info. As far as the 505 and the 500 went there was nothing between them, both spoke with authority. Everyone of the large animals only required one shot each to anchor them, a couple of them needed a finisher but none moved from the spot when hit. Both of us used Woodleigh bullets and they certainly worked very well as seen by the pics.

When we spotted the buffalo we were a little distance out but stalked in to about 75 yards at which point the breeze which was in our face changed direction and the two that we could see started to wind us and looked nervous. So I raised the rifle and fired and the buff dropped instantly, Mick then fired straight after me and dropped the second buff. To our surprise it was actually a mob of about a dozen animals and they bolted to the left. Mick and I were straight after them reloading while running and then the mob stopped to have a look. I immediately fired at a buff looking back at us and Mick fired at one just to right, both dropped on the spot. Then the mob took of again and Mick dropped one heading away and I took a running shot at a good sized buff bolting to the left at full throttle and it collapsed and ploughed into the ground and didn't move. Six buff in realistically about fifteen seconds, pretty exciting stuff.

The scrub bull the next day was very different. After having followed up on a scrubber calling in the distance but unable to locate him we continued for some time searching through the flood pan. Eventually we were heading back to the car and while still some distance away I was walking about twenty yards behind Mick and he was looking slightly to the right. Suddenly this most enormous Scrub bull appeared to the right of a termite mound on our left and stopped. It had been directly in line with the termite mound and we had not seen it. I spotted it first and was already swinging my gun into position when Mick saw it and immediately turned around and while dropping on his knees and covering his ears with his hands screamed shoot, which I did and anchored the bull, a quick follow up shot rolled him over. The bull was absolutely massive, much bigger than it looks in the pics, with long legs and a huge brahma hump. Definitely the biggest animal I have ever seen apart from an Elephant at the Zoo. Still the 505 dropped it and it proved impossible to stop it from bleeding for the photo. There was pools of blood on the ground which we covered with dirt but we could not plug the hole in the bull to stop it, so unfortunately thee is some blood in the pic.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com