(.375 member)
29/05/21 08:16 PM
Vic Trip 21

Travelled to Vic for a few weeks hunting and fishing.
Hunted the local areas.

Had a close encounter with stag at 20m, unfortunatly for me he was quicker and disapeared into the cprosma disappointed in my self for not getting the shot. Made me keener for the next few days.

A day later in the same area. I had just looked at a wallow and climbed above it and hit a well used trail. Decided to contour around the face on the trail. Fairly thick bracken so slow going. Had gone about 140m and came to a deadfall tree and deciding which way to go when I spotted movement about 15m in front of me.

A head appeared above the bracken ,it all happened pretty quick and a head shot at 15m had a small knobby stag on the ground. Stoked!

pinged Mitch and he headed down for pics and recovery.

Knobby 7x57 140 PPSN Rigby HS

dressing out, prime eating.

Mitch,gettting ready to carry out Better than what we are used to. Shot from tree above right of mitts head.

carry out

recovered from neck vertebrae 140 PPSN

Hung the meat and let it set and continued on hunting. Both Mitch and i Had opportunities over the next couple of days.

It all came together again for me on a arvo hunt I had just pushed thru a cprosma thicket and started to climb up, as i glanced up Spotted a stag at 35m. Instinctivly Gun up in the scope boom. As quick as it happened I was worried weather I should have shot or not.

The stag crashed away thru the cprosma and I watched the scrub moving, he was obviously hit hard. Then a loud crash and next a tumbling noise as the stag had gone down and was rolling down the face. All quiet and I picked out a large tree where I last saw and heard movement. Quickly covered the ground to the tree and the stag was resting against the tree, for a easy find.

Mitch called and asked what I had got........Spike. sent my location to him, for pics and carry out.

Initial concerns over the shot were not necissary, the shot was as the stag turned and raked across from his hip to the offside shoulder. 270WSM 130gr TTSX.

spike

recovered 30 r TTSX hip too side shoulder

ready too carry out

processed

camp in the Gatta

MIA stove pumping

2wt fly blow fly humpy

Meatie

real close

Quick look for some fallow. Should have been easy, yeah right. Late morning last spot opportunity for a rushed couple of shots at some fast departing fallow.

Sat down for the shot as they started running hoping they would pull up. They slowed and started to pull up I dropped a doe and Watto missed one. they started to hit the timber so I stood up, picked out another and as it came into view ,I willed it to stop! It did and a 140 PPSN dropped its on the spot. Stoked.

doe 7x57 200m 140 PPSN

rainbow

Covid closures lookalike they were coming scout it short and headed home In hindesite a good call

Contact Us NitroExpress.com