rgp
(.333 member)
06/07/05 04:33 PM
Re: Calibre for Camels?

500 Nitro,

I remember the term brumby but did not use it because I did not remember whether it was a horse or a donkey.

I'd like to try camels in Australia and if I ever do I would prefer to use one of my "use it on anything" .375's. In actual practice I'll probably have to borrow a rifle as usual when there and use whatever is available.

Not certain if my cousin in Iraq was joking about the camels or not, I don't know if camels are common there as I haven't been to Iraq. They probably can't do too well on the camel with AR15's and I think all he has now is an AR15 and a Beretta 9mm...he managed to weasel out of gorgeous South Korea, choosing to return to a combat assignment in Iraq instead...

Roos were the hardest to hit critters I ever shot with rifle or camera because of that zig zagging bounce and it was hard to avoid embarrassing myself especially after a friend talked about how "Tex shoots matchsticks at 200 metres like the Beverly Hillbillies." I was present to hear this discussion and was thinking that is way too much to demonstrate.

Roos were also the hardest to photograph...none of my night time photos of roos developed properly and all the daytime ones were blurred. The one I photographed that was in the headlights perfectly motionless expecting me to drive around him...that photo came out solid black.

Regarding cattle with nasty attitudes, I'm glad Aussies expect that occasionally because I've seen too many nasty ones myself. Just try telling an American to be careful around a cow...they usually don't believe it.

Richard.

Edit...

The photo I took above, the closest camel was a maximum of 30 - 40 metres away. These camels were not very big and I would estimate their weight at a maximum of 550 lbs, probably less than that. As you can see from the photo you might be in business on the one on the right with any decent hunting rifle from a .303 or .308 to anything larger. The one on the left looks like a good reason to carry a .375 or larger.

Also I was sneaking from one bush to the next...could have very easily gotten a lot closer, I think to within 25 or 30 feet, but crawling around Australia on my stomach is not something I want to try...coming nose to nose with a poisonous snake while crawling on the ground is not my idea of fun. Yes I was born and raised in America and snakes make me nervous. - rgp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com