500Nitro
(.450 member)
15/06/05 05:56 PM
Re: Buffalo Head Shot

Alan,

The Buff that charged me was a cow - just a stroppy one !!!
In fact 2 days before another cow that had been running with the one that charged me
came at us in a "bluff" "charge / forward motion when we were on the 4 wheel bikes.
I chambered a round "just in case" which prompted my mate to shoot it at 10 yards !!!
Any closer and she would have been head butting the bike !!!

I haven't had the privelage of hunting Scrub Bull / Scrub cattle but I have had plenty of stories about
them being agressive / prone to charging.

When I am hunting I normally carry a 505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffrey, 500 Nitro double, 465 or 470 double
so I am normally well prepared. It's when I am testing that I use different (smaller) calibres.

Interestingly, the 9.3 x 64 is devastating on Buffalo with the 320gn Woodleighs.
(FYI, I put the 9.3 x 62 in the same category as long as it is loaded to it's full potential).

I shot a heap of Buffalo with the 9.3 320gn Protected Points when they were first produced
(as well as with the 320gn and 286gn RN's to get a direct comparison) and the heavy bullet
weight for the calibre really showed some penetration.

Having now shot Buffalo with the 338 WM (and they weren't squib loads either !!!),
I feel 9.3 really is the Minimum for the inexperienced and or occasional buffalo hunter.

Just my HO

500 Nitro

Contact Us NitroExpress.com