Marrakai
(.416 member)
13/06/05 10:59 PM
Re: Buffalo Head Shot

In reply to:

And by the way, your pavers need repainting!

Cheeky bugger! They're flagstone pavers, same brick colour all the way through, not painted!

Marty: I well remember Larry's head-shot bull, the Woodleigh 180gr PP projectile actually passed through the base of the ear into the skull, but still he staggered out, fell over and got back up a couple of times, before standing there, legs splayed, shaking his head! Bloody tough! Anyway, a couple more quick ones behind the shoulder did the trick. (thankfully!) As I recall, the first bullet smashed through the lower brain-pan, but didn't actually penetrate the brain itself. Not good enough!

O & BTW, the top trophy in my first post was 104 pts, the lower one would have been 109 but for a broken tip.

Orion: The only bullet I use in that little 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer is the Hornady 160gr round-nose soft-point, over a case-full of AR2209 (35.4 grains). It is deadly on pigs, donks, etc, and kills out of all proportion, but requires surgical precision to take a buff. Although I have bagged a good bull with the little carbine, I stuffed-up on a nice buff many years ago in the Shoal Bay reserve. Due to the long grass it was in fact (you guessed it!) an attempted head-shot! These days I know better...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com