NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/02/19 08:52 AM
Re: What are Australian Waterfowl Regulations Like? Guns/Loads?

I would love to go quail hunting. But quail have been scarce in my hunting areas for decades and disappeared locally. Good farming country might have them if I could assess farms in those areas.

Perhaps during some of the fox drives this year, some friendly property owner might be sourced.

As for ducks, it is really dry here yet again. The local creeks and rivers are all dry, and often stay that way to late winter, ie August, AFTER the close of the season. Some dams often have water and many will have ducks, usually wood ducks and black ducks.

A big possible loss for me is many square kilometres of hunting lands I have had for some forty years and my main hunting areas, the property having sold, and very likely the new owners will again be the "no hunting allowed" sort. Will see. First request was an iffy vague answer. We do own a small property in the middle of their blocks, so are neighbours. Used to have fourteen square kilometres of hunting blocks in these hills, but didn't renew the permissions as they weren't needed in the past. Time to go door knocking again and hope to reacquire these properties.

Duck hunting for me will almost certainly be on a public game hunting reserve. Perhaps my old faithful where I haven't been for a long time. Status was changed from a "game reserve" to a "biosphere" and last time I was there, glad I didn't bring the dog to the "reserve" as dogs were now banned ... this reserve, Moorook, is on the Murray River, with lagoons off it. I remember in the old days going there, and there being hundreds of duck hunters. Then the Wildfowl Identification Test came in, and when I went a few years later, I think there was me, and two other guys there ...

The opening of the season in March is always problematic for me as it is also the grape vintage and either possible or completely impossible depending on timing of harvests. However a walk in the hills was always possible or jumping some dams or waterholes. This year the waterholes are all dry.

Ducks in Australia can migrate very long distances. And just because they are not here, does not mean they aren't elsewhere. Even in the middle of the deserts where sometimes the lakes and swampy areas are wet. They migrate with the rains. Also in terms of management, less water means less feed, and less feed means a greater die off, so a shooting season may mean less die off wasted anyway. Something the greenies can not understand. Then with a good season they breed up in massive numbers again.

Have purchased new replacement decoys to add to my old shabby ones needing some touch up with paint. Need to find where I have put my waders ???? Never needed them at home on the creeks. And one day I must acquire a boat or punt. Then some better reserves would be accessible.

I think rejoining the Field & Game Association is in order. Was planning to do so anyway so as to restart sporting clays shooting again. Was never a regular but did partake occaisionally each year a few shoots in the past. Had a shot at it last year with the Naval and Military Club Sporting Guns guys and decided I must do it again.

I reckon I have bismuth shot somewhere tucked away still. Lasts me a long time.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com