NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/09/18 03:21 PM
Re: 7mm 140 gr Hydro-Solid .284" - Who has used these?

Quote:

Hey guys I wasn't promoting the use of a 22Rf or 455 Webley as suitable cartridges to take on large game but just pointing out they these sort of cartridges are quite capable of dropping a cattle beast or buffalo if using a bullet that will penetrate to the brain or neck. In the hands of a good shot a 22RF solid would possibly be capable of doing this at the 45m range that Mick shot using a 308 150gr Hydro. My question was that to get a comparison of bullet performance you need you know where the bullet was placed.
The fact that Mick dropped his buffalo on the spot at 45m with a Hydro doesn't tell us much as we don't know where he hit the beast. I’m assuming for a DRT shot he must have done a brain or spine shot? Most any bullet will do that.

Thanks for the reply. True your comment. Most reasonable bullets can be used for a brain shot if the bullet can be put in the right place. A .22RF on a spine shot though? And what works in cattle yards isn't true for the hunting fields. I remember my first water buffalo. When it was down and trying to rise yet again with a broken shoulder and I shot it in the head and "brain" with a 480 gr Woodleigh FMJ RN and it went down dead ... stunned ... another bullet an inch away and it was dead. Two holes in the headskin very close together. But when skinned, only one hole in the skull. The other bullet must have ricocheted off the skull, perhaps a last second change in angle of the head? No idea. Seems impossible. No doubt a magical hydro would have penetrated the length of the beast and came out the tip of its tail. There is a rule, shit happens in the field sometimes.

Quote:

BTW the cattle beast I shot with my Webley using a cast 250gr at about 650fps had a broken leg and was standing quietly 3 or 4 metres away in a river bed. I head shot it dropping it on the spot. Although I shot a few goats and a couple of red deer with the Webley, I would no more promote it as a buffalo cartridge than a 22RF when hunting in the wild but both are capable of dropping a large beast under the right circumstances with the right shot.

To give the Webley it’s due I would take some comfort from having it on the hip in case anything ever went wrong when hunting dangerous animals, certainly for cats and buffalo if you can get a head or neck shot at close range the 455 Webley is more than capable of turning their lights out, better than a knife.

Quote:

To give the Webley it’s due I would take some comfort from having it on the hip in case anything ever went wrong when hunting dangerous animals

And also useful when wrestlings with a salty croc when filling the water bucket!

I wish! Maybe the last for a selected few in the NT but for the rest of us mortals in Australia, only a dream.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com